YWCA Peterborough Haliburton support and crisis services for women who experience violence are still available.
We have implemented COVID-19 screening assessment, disinfecting, physical distancing and isolation practices to keep everyone as safe as possible. We know that dramatic health protection measures will slow the transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
Shelter, safety planning, referrals and ongoing support are more important now than ever. We are here to help. Here and around the world, women who have been able to escape abusers or call for help report that the violence escalated during periods of pandemic isolation. Calls to women’s shelters and crisis lines are increasing.
If you have been injured or your life is at risk call 911 for help. Let them know if:
· your life is at risk
· you have been injured or need an ambulance
· the person used a weapon or has threatened to use one and the type
· the person has threatened to hurt you, your children, your pets or themselves
· drugs are involved and what kind
· alcohol is involved
· there is a protection order – a peace bond or family court restraining order
YWCA’s 24 Hour Support & Crisis Line is available and answered by skilled, empathetic staff. Call 1-800-461-7656 or Text 705-991-0110.
We are here to help. Call or text if you:
· would like to speak with someone about your options
· are wondering about services in our communities that are still available
· are concerned about your safety and your children’s safety
· are ready to leave and wonder if there’s a safe place to go
· would like to find out more so you can refer a friend or family member
Crossroads Shelter and HERS – Haliburton Emergency Rural SafeSpace are essential services for women and children fleeing violence in Peterborough and Haliburton County. We continue to provide reliable, confidential support, resources, safety and information around the clock.
Our offices remain closed to the public. Staff who usually work at our Simcoe Street Office, Women’s Centre of Haliburton County and Centennial Crescent Housing Community are working remotely and continue to provide assistance by phone, text and email during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm).
YWCA Peterborough Haliburton is taking full measures to protect the health of women and children we support, ourselves and our co-workers, by diligently practicing physical distancing, following best practice hand hygiene and environmental disinfecting protocols, including increased disinfecting and cleaning of shared work spaces, as outlined by Peterborough Public Health. Anyone with symptoms or recent travel is self-isolating for 14 days and screening is now part of all interactions.
Many community members have kindly reached out to us, wondering how to help during this difficult time. We continue to accept donations online or by phone at 705-743-3526 and we thank those of you who have offered support.
Now more than ever, we know that caring for others will help us through the difficult times ahead.