COVID-19 Update: YWCA Peterborough Haliburton support and crisis services for women who experience violence are still available. Crossroads Shelter, HERS – Haliburton Emergency Rural SafeSpace and our 24 Hour Support & Crisis Line remain open.
While our offices are closed to the public to help flatten the curve, our support teams are working remotely and will continue to provide assistance by phone, text and email during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm). View our full update here.
Our primary focus is on safety: immediate protection from violence and abuse.
If the threat of danger is immediate
Call 911 -Try to give the police your name, address and phone number. Provide as much additional information as circumstances allow.
Let them know if:
- your life is in danger.
- you are injured and will need an ambulance.
- there are weapons being used and if so, what type.
- there are drugs and/or alcohol involved.
- there are children (or others) present in the home.
- there is a history of violence.
- there is a protection order, peace bond or restraining order in effect.
If you are concerned about the health of your relationship, or want to help someone you love, but the threat is not immediate
YWCA 24 Hour Support & Crisis Line:
Our 24 Hour Support and Crisis Line is answered by skilled, empathetic staff around the clock. We’re available to provide support and offer practical resources that help women stay safe and rebuild their lives.
Let us know if:
- you have questions or would like to talk to someone about your options.
- you feel that you and your children are ready to leave and wish to go to a safe place.
- you’d like to find out more so you can refer a friend or family member.
Last year, 5,079 callers received immediate, anonymous support, referrals and systems navigation by phone or by text.
Sometimes we speak with women, and people in their lives who love and support them, who are simply wondering about their options. Other times, we speak with women who urgently need the safety of our shelter and services.
If you need help, please contact us any time, day or night.