Every year, local women are forced to set aside dreams of a better life for themselves and their families because of financial obstacles that stand in their way.
We know that education is an entry point to opportunities and that investments in education have a ripple effect within the family and across generations.
Our two Education Awards offer women the opportunity to dramatically change their lives:
Long Term Education Award
Offers a renewable award (up to $2,000/year) to train women for careers that will improve their quality of life who are:
- abuse survivors;
- registrants accepted in a post-secondary program in an accredited Canadian institution for the 2019/20 school year;
- able to provide information detailing financial need (e.g., OSAP, ODSP, OW, etc.); and
- preferably a resident of Peterborough or Haliburton County.
This award is renewable for up to 4 years.
The 2019 application period is now closed. (Applications due in May)
Hazel Education Award
Offers multiple $1,000 awards to women who:
- have experienced barriers related to violence and abuse;
- are residents of Peterborough or Haliburton counties; and
- are furthering their formal or informal education.
Women from rural areas will be given special consideration for this award, as per Hazel’s request.
The 2019 application period is now closed. (Applications due in March)
How Can the Awards be Used?
Awards may be applied to books, tuition, university/college applications, conferences/workshops, courses, leadership training, and transportation.