Shelter for Women and Children
We provide emergency shelter, meals and supportive counselling for women and children fleeing abuse of any kind (physical, emotional, sexual or financial) 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
In Peterborough we operate Crossroads, a warm and welcoming 25 bed safe haven for women and children in the heart of the city.
In Haliburton County, we operate HERS (Haliburton Emergency Rural SafeSpace), a two unit home-like space for women and families fleeing abuse.
Last year our shelters provided 9,433 safe nights’ sleep and 26,331 meals for women and children.
Our Free Confidential Services Include:
- Private bedrooms for single women and women with children
- Confidential 24 hour crisis and supportive assistance by telephone or in person at the shelter
- Free emergency transportation to the shelter
- Help finding community resources and supports
- Legal and court support and information about your rights
- Food, clothing and basic personal necessities
- Assistance with Special Priority for rent geared to income housing
- Language interpretation can be arranged with notice
- 3 months post-shelter support and ongoing counselling
- Crossroads Shelter is wheelchair accessible